Pages

Monday 15 November 2010

We're not loving the X Factor or Katie Waissel (but we do love Freddie Mercury)

Mum says:

"My boys both love music, so in addition to letting them plug away on their various instruments: a keyboard, a xylophone, guitars (both real and air), and a couple of harmonicas - I let them watch the X Factor from time to time. (Some people may say that's a bit of a contradiction in terms, i.e. music loving and the X Factor bearing in mind certain contestants this year! But anyway...)

By way of a little bit of background before I continue, Shaun, our eldest boy aged 7, loves Freddie Mercury. In Shaun's mind, Freddie Mercury is up there with Batman in terms of possessing Super Hero status.

Shaun's been hooked on Freddie Mercury ever since he was around 4 years' old. Just one hearing of "We Will Rock You" on the radio and Shaun was a fan. Since that time, Shaun has learned to recognise and sing along with other Queen songs, and utterly entranced, he's watched footage of the flamboyant Freddie Mercury performing and playing piano in only his way, such as with his bottom on the keys (and of course Shaun wants to imitate his idol's performance on our antique walnut piano! (You've got no chance, son!)). And by way of tribute to Freddie, Shaun and his younger brother, Joe, in the lovely innocent way that kids do, have created a number of their own sincere heartfelt songs mourning their hero's untimely death along the lines of "I'm so sad that Freddie Mercury died ..."

So this year, when Katie Waissel first appeared on the X Factor at the auditions stage, looking like a rock chick and claiming to idolise Freddie Mercury too, she instantly gained a warm place in my son's big little heart. Shaun's hopes and support were soon dashed though after Katie's first live performance of the classic Queen song,"We Are The Champions" - which even a child recognised was not a great or even a good performance from a supposed Queen fan, or even from a rock fan.

I'll let Shaun explain."

Shaun (age 7) says:

"If Katie likes Freddie Mercury so much, why didn't she do a better job singing his song? I think it's all very strange. I don't think she loves Freddie Mercury in real life, she can't to have done a bad job like that. She's rubbish! Oh, and she forgot Freddie Mercury's words at her audition thingy, how could she forget the words if she likes him and his music so much? I'm only a little kid and I know his words!"

Joe (age 5) says:

"I'm so sad Freddie Mercury died. I'm going to invent and make a 'live potion' to make him come back alive again."

Dad (his age censored!) says:

"I don't watch the X Factor, I think it's a load of rubbish."

Mum says:

"It didn't take long for a child to decide something was amiss with Katie Waissel's projected image. In Katie's favour though, Shaun was rather taken by the weird space age outfit she was wearing the night she sang the Queen song.

I'm not personally interested in all the various tabloid media stuff about Katie Waissel having previous record deals under a host of working names and aliases, Lola and God knows what in America - (didn't, indeed, Leona Lewis have a previous record released before she came to the show?) And I have no problems with a persistent trier, God knows it you need to be determined to make it in the music industry. Either that or "know" someone rather well! And I'm not particularly interested in all the hullabaloo about Gamu either. I dislike Katie Waissel intensely on a personal basis, but as a musician myself, that has nothing to do with it: I judge Katie on one thing only: her musical ability. Simply stated, she's not very good!

Last Saturday night, Katie Waissel was so bad singing Sir Elton John's Saturday Night's Alright, (it wasn't alright, love!) that it seemed the producers chose to frequently deliberately drown her out with the backing singers. I have my suspicions as to why it may be, but I can't understand why Simon Cowell is defending Katie so much this year and favouring her over much better singers. Last week in particular when TreyC went home it seemed more and more like a farce.

I used to respect Simon Cowell's opinion: he was almost always right on, being honest while the other judge's pandered and waffled - but now, well, my respect for him is all but gone. Perhaps he's getting old, tired and cynical and just doesn't care any more: reflected also in his blatant disregard for the weekly themes (referring back to last week's theme, for example, of American Anthems, and his choice of Kim Wilde!). But whatever the reasons, though it may be gaining the show more publicity and possibly viewing figures in the short term, the money-spinning X Factor has hit rock bottom in public opinion which can't be good for the show's long term future. Which is a shame for Matt Cardle and Rebecca who are actually rather good.

The fact Wagner is still in the show is yet another joke. But it is pantomime season, isn't it? If Wagner were a little more personally likeable, and didn't come across as such a letchy Lothario, I think I'd back him all the way just to see Simon Cowell's face on having to award him a record deal.

I think watching Take That perform last night was my only pleasure from the whole show, and I'm tempted to switch over next week and find something else to watch instead."

4 comments:

Jayne said...

I don't think the producers' liked Aidan Grimshaw's comments about someone seeing the leak on Twitter that he may be going, so to prepare himself?

Jayne said...

Nice blog by the way, it's fresh and cute with all the family's views on something.

WeAreLovingIt said...

Thank you Jayne!

Dina said...

It's always been very manipulative, just much easier to see through it this year.